Friday, December 17, 2021

December Blog

 December Service Hours: 8

Total Semester Service Hours: 15



    We finally finished the first semester and this is an extremely bittersweet moment for me. I am excited finals went well and I get to enjoy my Christmas break with family, but I am also sad that we are already halfway done with the program and won't see most of my classmates for a few weeks. However, I am extremely grateful for everything this semester has entailed. I would have never thought that I would be enjoying this program as much as I am. Our class finished up the semester with the GI and Neoplasia module, and I truly feel everything that I am learning is going to help me significantly in my future. 

For the month of December, I was able to participate in two separate events for community service. First, Megan and I participated in the Our Lady of the Lake Tiger 10K in Baton Rouge. We raised funds for this hospital and the associating Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center by participating in this race. It was an awesome experience to finish on the fifty-yard line inside Tiger Stadium! Secondly, I volunteered for the American Red Cross and helped present our Pillowcase Project to second grade children at a local school in Lafayette. This project is a preparedness education program that teaches children simple safety skills, household hazards, and basic coping skills. Upon completion, the children received a pillowcase in which they can draw on and create an emergency supply kit. I thoroughly enjoyed talking and playing with the young children, watching them draw all over their pillowcases. Making young children smile for such a simple gesture makes me filled with gratification. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

April Blog

April Hours: 6 Total Semester Hours: 13 The day has finally come. Our program has come to an end and all I can think of is how grateful I am...